B'nai Zedek Cemetery
Hwy 32/Sheridan Road
Across from Carthage College
Village of Somers, Kenosha County
Photos donated by Louis Rugani
In the 1880's Jacob Stern, a merchant, was one of the first Jewish settlers to arrive in Kenosha. Others followed, including Rabbi Louis Lapkovsky who, in 1904, became the first Rabbi of Congregation B'nai Zedek. In 1910 the need for a permanent synagogue became evident and the first donation to the building fund was $500.00, donated by Mr. Zalman Simmons, owner of the former Kenosha located Simmons Mattress Company. The congregation established B'Nai Zedek Cemetery in the mid 1920's.
(Source: Congregation B'nei Tzedek Chabad)